Wednesday, December 7, 2011

On Loss and Belonging!!

I’ve been thinking about the concept of “belonging” for some time now. It is a thought that comes to mind several times a year actually, but this time it has visited me for longer than usual, and is overstaying it’s welcome like a an enormous, and gluttonous relative, staying on my couch, consuming my food.

I have always struggled to belong, whether it was to a community, to a family, or to a group of friends. The thought of belonging recently visited me as I made my weekly treks back and forth, to and from Chicago to visit my boyfriend. This has been the routine for the past several months, and while I have become accustomed to my semi-gypsy lifestyle, and living out of a suitcase for the weekend, it has been compounded by the feelings of loss—of the familiar warm of the 9 year relationship that just ended, and the increased feeling of loss of family; my natural family, my American family that has struggled to keep it’s cohesion after Mom died (at least from where I am standing), and the loss of my “in-laws” whom I considered my family for the past 9 years even though we only saw each other over the holidays, and exchanged gifts that ended up in their garage, re-gifted, or in the bottom of my closet.

Two weeks ago, while sleeping on the bus on the way to Iowa for my weekly trek, I received a call from my mother. It has been a while since we talked (I believe it must have been a month or so), and my mother started the conversation playfully admonishing me for not calling her. She wasn’t completely being playful of course. One thing my mother is really good at is covering passive aggression with humor. Sometimes she just downright drops the passivity, and just uses humor and laughter to cover her aggression and disappointment. At 62 years old, I can understand her disappointment in the fact that I do not call her often. It is bad enough that I have been disappointing her for the past I-don’t-know however many years since I had the capacity to disappoint. But I just had to up n’go 11 odd years ago, and never return.

We talked about all that is happening in Egypt, and the upcoming elections. She had been on my case about getting the newly issued government ID card, and I have been blowing her off for the past several years. She asked me what I thought of what was going on, and I expressed my views, but also said I had no intention of voting. The government had recently allowed Egyptians living abroad to vote in local elections—the first such action to ever take place. So, Egyptians abroad have all been gung-ho about voting, except me. I then said something I had never vocalized ever before; I told my mother, it is not my fight. Even as I type these words right now, tears are welling up in my eyes. It is how I feel, and I am incredibly sad about it.

Growing up in Egypt, I had often fantasized about this moment in Egyptian history. A vivid
memory I have is of sitting in a car, heading east on Cairo’s 6th of October Bridge, passing by the Cairo Museum of Antiquities, and having this random thought or fantasy about overthrowing Mubarak, and leading the country through the path to democracy. I couldn’t have been more than 12 at the time. After living a year in the United States when I was 16, and returning to Cairo for college, I even fantasized about toppling the Mubarak regime, and adopting a U.S. style constitution that would allow Egyptians the same freedoms and liberties afforded to my now adopted country.

It is now not my fight, and it makes me sad. I have lived in Chicago now for close to 11 years. I haven’t been back to Egypt since. I saw my family only once since leaving, and that was 6 years ago, in Paris for five days. It was one of the most bizarre and stressful five days I have experienced with my family, and it ruined my Parisian experience (I still need a Paris do-over!). After living an open life in Chicago for five years, I spent five days back in the closet, and I hated every moment of it. I loved seeing my mother, sister, my then one year old nephew, and it was good to see my father. But I longed to go back home…to Chicago, where I can be myself again, with my American family, and my boyfriend of two years.

A lot has happened since that week in Paris. Yet, it seems that a lot of things have not changed. My mother asked me what was new in my life, and I could not tell her. When I talked to my mother on the phone, I often think of Anne Bancroft in Torch Song Trilogy. The scene in the cemetery after Arnold buried his partner. She yells, “you cheated me out of your life, then blame me for not being there!” That is how I often define my relationship with my mother.  What is new in my life? How about, I am on a bus, heading to see my boyfriend, who I have been seeing for the past few months, and I love him so much it hurts. I have recently ended my relationship with my boyfriend of 9 years; the man I own property with, and have loved and taken care of, and thought I would grow old and decrepit with. How about, I need a hug Mama, and I feel lost, and I don’t know what to do, and I could really use some solid motherly advice, and to hear you say everything is going to be OK? How about, telling me I am doing the right thing…or challenge me to think about my actions?

But that is neither here nor there, and I just solider on. I feel like a complete stranger sometimes; and recently, a lot of the time, even though I have made this place my home. Over the past four years, my then boyfriend and I bought a beautiful two bedroom condo together, and have spent our time, money, and energy making it into a stylish and welcoming home. I look around now, and despite the warm and welcoming Douglas-Fir adorned with warm Christmas lights, and natural ornaments that we made together, it feels like a shell of its old glory. We still live together, and have separate bedrooms now. The mere act of separating rooms, while necessary, is a constant reminder of the failure of what was supposed to be a lifetime together. I spent almost 9 of the 11 years living here defining myself as part of this relationship. It was by no means a perfect partnership, and we, like everyone else, have had our ups and our down. We have had our issues, and we have struggled with infidelities, insecurities, love, and pain.  At the end of the day, he was my family, and my home. His family was also my family, and as we wade through the breakup, I can’t help but mourn the loss of my place in that family. I haven’t seen them in two years or so, but their presence in the background of my life was…reassuring! They relied on me, and still do it seems, to give them the skinny on what is happening in my ex’s life, since he is terrible at communicating with them. He is terrible at communicating, period. As we live together, I feel like I have to struggle with this lack of communication, since, as he put it, he doesn’t have the obligation to work on his communication now that we are not in a relationship any more. In a way, I feel like I am living in wake...that I am constantly in visitation mode of the open casket that is our dead relationship; and I am administering CPR to a corpse.

As I prepare to purchase my weekend bus ticket, I can’t help but think that I am living in purgatory on so many levels. I leave the home that I have built, to go be with my boyfriend, who also has left the home he has built, and is living in a home he doesn’t particularly like. I leave that at the end of the weekend, to go back to the home I have here, and to my job, which despite being good at it, is not that interesting; and I spend the days counting down to being back on the bus. The highlight of it all is being with my boyfriend. I feel home with him, despite our recent struggles, and the obstacles we have to overcome to be together. But, I then have to leave him at the end of the weekend, and come back to the home that is a shadow of what it used to be.

There are a lot of muddled thoughts in this post. I talk about Egypt, family, and boyfriends. I am conscious of the fact that I haven’t fully developed each thought completely. It is overwhelming to think of it all; but these thoughts rush through my mind on a daily basis. I struggle with the feelings of belonging and of loss…I lost a big part of me when I came to the realization that the struggles in Egypt are not mine anymore. I struggle with the feelings of belonging and loss when I wake up in the morning at home, faced with the relationship that I ended. I struggle with the feelings of belonging and loss when I get on the bus at the end of the weekend. I long to end this tenure in purgatory, and to find my path home where I belong.